Carpet stains are almost impossible to avoid.
That’s why today we’ll be looking into how to choose the best carpet stain remover for your needs.
You might have a dozen rules in your house to prevent these stains from occurring in the first place…
- No shoes in the house
- No food on the carpet
- No drinks except for water on the carpet
- No pets on the carpet and protect your carpet with of these litter box choices
The list goes on!
Unfortunately, no matter how careful you are, carpet stains are inescapable…
You can’t really ask an electrician or plumber to remove their shoes when they come to fix something. Your guests might not know the rules and accidentally spill something. Your children will inevitably sneak a drink into the room when you’re not looking and the dogs are sure to track mud in before you can stop them from doing so.
Thankfully, you have a plethora of options when cleaning up these accidental spills and stains. We’ll look at these before our reviews…
- Cleaning Options
- Things To Consider
- Before Using A Stain Remover
- Carpet Stain Remover Reviews
One obvious solution is to purchase a carpet-cleaning machine.
These machines use water and special detergents to clean your carpets. They are a wise choice when you have a large volume of carpet that needs cleaning. They’re also useful to keep around because you should clean your carpets deeply throughout the year to prolong their lifespan.
You could hire a professional carpet cleaning company to come in and clean your carpets for you. They can clean your whole house and they know exactly how to get specific stains out of your carpets for you. Unfortunately, hiring a professional also comes with a professional price. Nonetheless, this can be a sound approach if you have the budget for it.
You can also rent carpet cleaners to clean your carpets yourself without having to purchase a carpet cleaner for your home. These machines work like a regular carpet cleaner using water and special detergents to cleanse your carpets. Most major department stores have these machines available for rent and they’re extremely user-friendly.
While these are all good methods when you have a whole room to clean or for your annual spring cleaning, what do you use when you just have a few stains from a spilled drink to clean up? Surely you don’t want to hire a pro, rent a machine or drag your own carpet cleaner up from the basement for a few small stains!
Fortunately, you don’t have to.
There are many carpet stain removers available for purchase and you can easily find one to meet your requirements.
We have taken the time to review the top 5 carpet stain removers and we are sure you will find one that will work for you.
Before our brief reviews, though, we’ve got plenty more handy hints for you…
Things To Consider
When choosing a product to clean the stains from your carpet, there are a handful of things you will need to take into consideration.
You need to determine what the stain in the carpet came from so you can find the best way to properly treat it and you need to know what kind of carpet you have so that you will know how to treat the stains without damaging it. Shag carpet, for example, demands very delicate care.
There are many different things that can stain your carpet and each one will have a different effect and behave in a different way.
It’s crucial to know what the stain was caused by so that you can properly treat it.
Carpet stain removal sprays can clean up many different stains but some things will need special treatment before you can use a cleaning spray…
- Pet Stains: We love our pets but they are messy in the extreme! If your pet has an accident on the carpet, you need to act fast. Pet urine has different enzymes in it that make it a trickier stain to treat. Not only can the stain discolor the carpet but it can leave a lingering smell into the bargain. If an animal caused the stain you plan on treating, you will need to use a carpet stain cleaner made specifically to handle pet stains. These cleaners are enzyme-based and will clean up both the spot and the smell
- Red Wine: A nice glass of wine can be a great way to end the day but it can be stressful if we spill some. Wine is tough to clean because of the tannins it contains. Once they soak into the fibers of the carpet, they can be almost impossible to get out. A lot of the carpet stain removal sprays you can purchase will help to remove the stains but, for a sure bet, choose a cleaner specially formulated to clean up wine stains
- Blood: If you’ve had an accident and spilled some blood on your carpet, try not to worry too much. While the stain is still wet, it’s pretty straightforward to clean up. If the stain has dried, you should dab it with some peroxide. If that doesn’t work, you can find enzyme solutions made for the sole purpose of cleaning up blood stains
- Paint: Spilling paint on your carpet can almost give you a heart attack. Paint is a thick, sticky mess and it can be almost impossible to clean up. Try not to panic, though. You first want to scrape up as much excess paint as you can trying not to spread the stain any further. If the paint stain was caused by an oil-based paint, use paint thinner and a clean cloth. Be sure to wear gloves as this stuff is pretty harsh. If the stain was caused by a latex-based paint, you might have a little better luck. Latex paint is water based and will typically clean up with soap and water. Once you’ve removed most of the stain, you can press ahead with a carpet stain remover
The ease with which you will be able to clean your carpet is directly affected by the type of carpet you have.
Different types of carpet fibers react differently to the cleaners you use…
- The most common type of material chosen for carpet is nylon. Nylon is a popular choice for good reason. It will typically last a long time and it’s highly resistant to stains. Spills will be much easier to clean from nylon carpet than carpet made from other fibers
- Another common carpet material is olefin. People tend to choose olefin for its low cost and because it’s nearly impervious to spills and stains
- Polyester is another stain-resistant material. Unfortunately, it’s not very durable
- While being the most eye-appealing, rugged and comfortable of all carpet material choices, wool is very expensive and you must take special care when cleaning it
Before Using A Stain Remover
Before you even reach for the bottle or canister of carpet stain remover, there are a few steps you should take.
If the stain is new and still damp, you need to work quickly…
First, use a clean cloth to mop up any excess liquid. Don’t rub the stain from side to side, or you will work it further into the fibers of the carpet and maybe even make it worse. Instead, use a gentle up-and-down motion to blot the stain. Try to remove most of the liquid before attempting to use a cleaning solution on your carpet or you may be working at it much longer than anticipated.
If the stain has set in for a while, you can still try to get as much of it up as possible using a damp cloth. Wet the cloth and wring it out then gently blot the stain with the cloth. If you’re lucky, some of the stain will release itself from the fibers of the carpet. Again, try not to oversaturate the carpet with water or the stain cleaning spray will not be as effective.
Make sure there is no other debris left on the floor like pieces of food from a spilled plate or small rocks that were mixed in with the mud. You can try to vacuum before using the stain cleaner but it should work just the same if you are not able to do so.
Carpet Stain Remover Reviews
Here are our top 5 choices for stain removers for your carpet.
1. Folex Carpet Spot Remover
When you see this plain purple and white bottle, you might be tempted to discount the abilities of the cleaner inside. We suggest you take a second look…
This non-toxic, non-flammable and odor-free cleaning formula is safe to use around your children and pets.
The cleaners contained in this spray are guaranteed to quickly remove stubborn spots and stains from your carpet.
This is a water-based formula that won’t leave any sticky dirt-attracting residue on your carpet.
Folex Carpet Spot Remover can clean away marks left by just about anything you could imagine. Whether it’s ink, grease and wine, blood or food, this stain remover zaps them all away with consummate ease. It’s also highly effective on any pet stains even though it doesn’t contain enzymes.
If you can look behind the simplicity of the label, you’ll perhaps be shocked to find that this is a real powerhouse of a carpet stain remover.
2. Rocco & Roxie Professional Stain And Odor Eliminator
This cleaner contains no harmful solvents or propellants and will leave behind no residue whatsoever. That means it’s perfectly safe to use around your children and your pets. It has also been ruled as safe for all styles of carpet due to its gentle cleaning nature.
You’ll get a cleaner that’s been made specifically for stains left behind by cats and dogs. This spray will feed on the ammonia crystals and other material that causes stains and smells. It does this because it contains the enzymatic bacteria that will eat away at these compounds until they have been fully dissolved.
This cleaner promises to eliminate the smell in addition to the stain. It will get rid of the stain and stink from urine, feces, vomit and other organic material without damaging your carpet in the process.
From carpets and kennels through to furniture, this cleaner from Rocco and Roxie can be used pretty much anywhere pet stains happen.
Try some today and enjoy a stain-free home tomorrow.
3. Chem-Dry Carpet Stain Extinguisher
This carpet stain cleaner from Chem-Dry is a unique offering on our list…
This innovative cleaner uses carbonation as a way of powering its cleaning solution. To buff up carpets and upholsteries thoroughly, the carbonation lifts the stains to the surface to be easily cleaned away.
No scrubbing and no extra mess to clean up means it takes all the sting out of a potentially messy job.
The cleaner is water-based and contains no harsh solvents that can further damage your carpets. It’s safe and non-toxic so you can freely use it around children and pets. It leaves behind no residue that will attract even more dirt to the freshly cleaned spot meaning when you clean it, it will stay clean.
While this is a great option for water-based stains, it won’t work well for oil-based stains. Bear this in mind to avoid disappointment.
4. Nature’s Miracle Stain And Odor Remover
Made with water, enzymes, Isopropyl alcohol and set off with a natural citrus scent, Nature’s Miracle Stain And Odor Remover offers a shower of benefits.
This cleaner can work on most surfaces including carpet, hard floors, furniture and any areas where your pets hang out.
It not only promises to clear away the stains and odors left behind by everyday living with pets, it also guarantees to eliminate any old and ingrained stains that are blighting your carpet. This really is an all-purpose cleaner that punches above its weight.
Because of the enzymes this cleaner contains, it is a smart move to press into action on pet stains. As discussed earlier in this guide, the stains left behind by animals require a different sort of treatment. This cleaner from Nature’s Miracle offers the necessary ingredients to clean away even the worst pet stains along with anything else you throw its way.
5. Woolite Oxy Deep Power Shot
Woolite has drawn on years of deep expertise manufacturing cleaning products to bring you this Woolite Deep Power Carpet Spot And Stain Remover.
Made with the power of OxyClean, this carpet cleaner uses natural air pressure to release the cleaner from the can. The cleaner is low VOC, meaning it has very little chemical smell and will release fewer toxins into the air.
This cleaner says it will remove all sorts of common bugbear stains like juice, coffee and tea. It even promises to remove pet stains. It also guarantees to remove even the toughest deep-set stains like red wine to give your carpet a really thorough clean.
With the cleaning power of Woolite and OxyClean combined, this is a surefire bet when it comes to cleaning your carpet stains and leaving your home looking showroom fresh.
We hope that no matter what stains you are face with in your carpet, you’ll be able to find a cleaner that will work for you.
Feel free to drop us a line any time with your questions or feedback.